Waking up every morning with intense heel pain can be frustrating. You feel like your life is crushing right before you. Whatever you had planned to do in the morning becomes a nightmare.
If you have found yourself in such a situation, there is a high chance you may be suffering from Plantar Fasciitis.
However, with exercise, you can relieve the pain and enjoy your lifestyle.
We will share with you exercises that will relieve your heel pain and restore your daily life.
Plantar Fasciitis is inflammation with/without degeneration at the origin of Plantar Fascia – a thick tissue band at the bottom of the foot that runs from the toes to the heel. The main role of the tissue is to support your foot, act as a shock absorber, and support walking.
People suffering from Plantar Fasciitis complain of heel pain. The pain is worse in the morning immediately after waking up, after long hours of sitting or at the end of the day.
Heel Pain reduces after a few minutes of walking or doing an activity that stretches the Fascia. However, for some people, the pain reduces and returns after spending hours on their feet
Plantar Fasciitis Exercise
Exercise is one of the most effective methods to treat heel pain. It stretches out the calf muscles and helps in recovery.
The following are simple exercises that will help relieve your heel pain.
Stretching the Calf
If your feet muscle tightens it makes Plantar Fasciitis worse. Stretching the calf muscle will relieve the pain. Calf muscles are located at the back part of the lower leg and attach to the heel through the Achilles tendon.
To stretch the calf muscles, try the following exercises.
- Lean with your hands against a wall.
- Stand flat with both feet
- Straighten the painful knee and bend the other one.
- Hold for around 10 seconds
- Repeat the exercise three times
Put a round object and roll it back and forth. You can use a golf ball, rolling pin, or a foam roller. This exercise will help loosen the foot muscles.
Use the steps below to stretch your foot:
- Sit on a chair
- Put a round object under your foot
- Roll it for 2 minutes
If the symptoms and pain persist make an appointment today.
Toes Curl Towel
Curling a facecloth or hand towel with your toes will stretch your calf and foot muscles.
To ease the pain, do this exercise before engaging in any other morning task. Follow the steps below:
Sit tall on a chair with both feet flat and place a towel or face cloth in front of your feet
- Grasp the towel with your toes
- Trying curling towel towards yourself
- Relax the foot
- Repeat the same process five times
- Watch and follow the video below to do the exercise correctly
Flexing your foot increases blood flow and helps relieve the tension on your heel. Use an elastic stretch band to do this exercise.
Follow the steps below to flex your foot.
- Sit on a flat surface (floor most preferably) with legs straight
- Wrap an elastic band around the affected foot and hold it with your hands
- Point the toes away from your body
- Slowly and gently return them to their starting position
- Repeat the same exercise 10 times
Plantar Fasciitis Symptoms
The main symptom of Plantar Fasciitis is heel pain. As mentioned, the pain is severe in the morning or after long hours of sitting.
Plantar Fasciitis Causes
The role of Fascia is to support foot muscle. When the Fascia is overstretched, it gets tears on its surface. As a result, it starts swelling and causing pain.
Plantar Fasciitis Diagnosis
If you experience severe heel pain Book an appointment with Dr. Kim (link to booking page)
Sometimes imaging tests will be needed to ensure there isn’t anything else causing the pain. The tests include:
AN X-ray to check any underlying bone fractures
Ultrasound scan: We are equipped with an ultrasound machine that can diagnose this during your consultation. Book an appointment now.
Plantar Fasciitis Treatment
Plantar Fasciitis Treatment can begin from home with the following remedies.
- Doing stretching exercise to ease pain
- Putting ice packs on a thin towel and placing it on the heel to reduce inflammation.
- Avoiding strenuous physical activities to rest your heel
- Wearing shoes with excellent arch support to reduce stress on plantar Fascia.
You may benefit from Ultrasound-guided Corticosteroid or amniotic fluid injections to reduce inflammation and ease the pain.
Exercises when combined with other treatments ensure the best results, do the exercises every morning when you get out of bed.
However, if the symptoms and pain persist make an appointment today.